Your references and folders are on the RefWorks server rather than your own hard drive. It is recommended to periodically make a backup a copy that can later be uploaded back onto the RefWorks server.
To make a RefWorks backup:
- From the Tools pull-down menu, select Backup & Restore.
- Click on the Backup & Restore from the Tools drop down menu.
- Choose Include References, Include Attachments and Include RSS Feeds.
- Click Perform Backup.
- If you are not prompted to save the file, click the link that says click here to download the backup to your computer.
- The file will have a .zip or .rwb extension. Do not change it as that format is necessary to upload or restore the file back to the RefWorks server.
To download a viewable copy of your references:
- From the References pull down menu, select export.
- Select which references to export (all references, my list, from a folder).
- Select the export format (Bibliographic Software - EndNote, Reference Manager, Procite;Citation List; RefWorks Tagged Format;Tab Delimited (for Excel) or XML
- Click the Export button and save the file to your computer.