- Start with a compendium such as the Statistical Abstract of the United States.
- Look in compendia for general statistics of interest.
- Look in the source notes for the source(s) of information.
- Find those sources. Often they will contain more detailed statistics than the compendium.
- Start with an agency.
- Look for agencies and statistical programs that may produce statistics of interest.
- Look at the statistical publications from those statistical
programs. Look at other statistical publications produced by the agency.
- Look at statistical compendia, especially one produced by the agency
of interest, that might include relevant data from that program.
- Start with an index, guide, or gateway that provides subject access to statistics.
For more information, consult Government Statistics.